Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 49: Apparently I'm a hobo

SO picture this:
Me, squatting in my diriveway, hunched over a plastic grocery bag, picking whole Claussen pickles out of a broken jar, checking each of them for shards of broken glass, and placing them into another Claussen jar, in the daytime, while it's sprinkling, and tears running down my face.
Yes. This was my afternoon. And yes, some of my neighbors witnessed this hobo-like behavior.

But, before I tell you why this occured, let's first rewind to the beginning of my day.

I was finally able to get myself out of bed on a Sunday morning, and I went to early service at Grace Lutheran. It was a really good experience, and I'm starting to get more used to the formality of their services. After church, I got home only to discover that my crawl space door was open again. When my parents were here in January, my dad had noticed it was open, and closed it for me, and who knows how long it was open again, but I closed it. Unfortunately, the lock wouldn't work, so instead, I stacked 3 big concrete bricks in front of the door, so that it would stay closed. I'll check on it tomorrow to see if it's still closed, because I'm super paranoid about it.
The reason I went to early service, was so that I could home in time to get on Skype to talk to my hubby. We had our morning conversation, and then I had to decide what to do today. I really needed groceries, so that was my first thing on my to-do list. So, I was off to the commissary.  After about an hour of perusing through each aisle, and carefully selecting the perfect jar of whole Claussen pickles, I returned home to discover that a piece of my roof, on the side of my house, is hanging by just a couple of screws, and that's what has been causing the loud banging noise that's been terrifying me for the last couple of nights. It apparently happened during the super bad storm we had a couple of nights ago, and we're supposed to have another awful storm in about 6 hours, so hopefully, it doesn't get ripped off completely over night.  I called my landlord, and he said he would have someone come out in the morning to fix it. Although, I'm a little worried that if they try to do it in the morning, it'll still be storming, so we'll see.

Then, the catastrophe of today occurred.  I picked up the first grocery bag out of the back of my car, and it slipped out of my hand, smashing into the pavement, and breaking my jar of Claussen's into 100 little pieces. I cried. Yes. I cried over pickles. Those of you who know me well, are probably not that shocked by this reaction, but to those of you who don't, I have an obsession. My favorite food in the entire world is pickles. Dill pickles. I could literally eat them all day, every day. Especially if they are placed on a nice salty potato chip. Uh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. But, if pickles were to be placed in a hierarchy, Claussen's would definitely be at the top of the pyramid.  So, losing an entire jar was quite a blow for me. Plus, they're EXPENSIVE. Needless to say, I wasn't going to just throw them ALL away. So, I finished taking in my groceries, and grabbed the Claussen jar that was still in my refrigerator, which no longer had any pickles in it, just the juice. (Please don't judge me too much!)
I quickly returned to the driveway, and proceeded to salvage what I could of my new jar. It was quite pathetic if I do say so myself. Oh well. Who am I trying to impress?
So, then it was time for some laundry, and watching some of my recorded shows off the DVR.
And now I'm watching the Oscars.
That was my Sunday.

Here's to another week of madness!
-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment